Sunday, September 17, 2006

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten,
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.


I'm working on about 5 other posts for this blog. When I took a step back and looked at them, they all seem to be critical and negative. This is probably what you expect to read in an anonymous employee blog about a large company, which is unfortunate. I don't want to post only negative items, and I don't feel only negatively about Intel. If I did I wouldn't be working there.

So why so many negative thoughts? I think it's because they're kind of backed up. We don't get to vent at Intel the way we used to. At least I don't. As I mentioned in my last post, at some point it became unacceptable and potentially career limiting, so I stopped doing it.

I generally like working at Intel. I have liked it more than I do now, and I've liked it less. But after more than a few years I still find it a good (if not great) company to work for. I get to work with a lot of smart people, and a few brilliant ones. I get to learn a lot. I get exposed to a lot of cool technology. I have some good friends here. And overall most people work hard and try to do the right thing. To have a company this large that has this many bright, hard working people is surprising, and one of the things that keeps me here. And my fondness for the company and the people is one of the reasons I fell compelled to write about it, especially now.

And Intel's processors are back on top! (I wish I could say that I helped this happen, but I didn't.) Core 2 Duo rocks! I'll admit to having a huge bias toward Intel processors, but from what I'm reading the Core 2 Duo processors are fantastic. I don't have one yet, but I did order my 6600 yesterday. They appear to run great out of the box, and people are overclocking the crap out of these things. There are some availability issues, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing if it gets solved before the holiday buying season. This is a great example of what Intel is good at.

The core of the company is solid, even though the stock price sucks. For those of us with older Intel options, it really sucks. But if you look at the financials, Intel is still doing well. Most companies can only dream about making the money that Intel does.

So overall I feel lucky to be working here, and I like the company. I may not be the most gruntled (go ahead and look it up if you don't believe me) guy at Intel, but I'm far from the most disgruntled. Thanks for letting me indulge in a little positive balance before some other critical posts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I would like to hear the good and the bad of what is happening with Intel. As the spouse, I have no idea what is happening internally, except for what I am hearing from my husband, and I do not want to appear to be harping on this if there is no new news. I like being able to find this in a public forum.

Thank you.

Intel IT Guy said...

Happy to help. :) I'm actually writing this more for myself than for the rest of you, but I'm hoping that people enjoy it. If it helps, even better.

I think you're going to hear more bad stuff from Intel people over the next few weeks as layoffs get announced. It's been a tough environment for a few months, and I think it's Q4 will be equally tough on employees and managers as we see more people leave.

As a spouse it may be even harder, as you don't get to hear the management messages or get any hallway conversations.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am pretty disgruntled. Not as much with the process we're going through right now but why we were on such a hiring spree last year. I knew then we had problems. We were supposed to add 1 head last year as approved in plan. When we went to hire, we were told we were over headcount at a department level because other groups had hired outside of plan. Then we were told we could hire women or under represented minorities no problem. That headcount explosion along with the invisibility of upper management to the entire decision making process does not bode well. We spend too much time in non-value SOX audits and not enough moving forward. Fixing these problems is what Intel needs to do to be great. Implementing CMMI will not fix it, neither will keeping the management that got us here. They seem to be targeting managers at lower levels and keeping all the mid and hi level ones. I heard some weird stuff about how the high level managers are determining what low level managers to keep. Basically the ones who deliver the best powerpoint, not results